Historic Public Landmarks
Old Southeast Church
The Old Southeast Church in the town of Southeast is the oldest house of worship in Putnam County and in 1972 became the first site in Putnam County to be named to the National Register of Historic Places.
Landmarks Preservation Society purchased the building in 1977. Much money has been raised over the years by many dedicated people, and the church now has a new roof, been painted inside and out, and had windows repaired and painted. Significant work to the understructure has also been carried out.
The church was built in 1794 on the old meetinghouse plan of the 18th century. Although an unfortunate fire in 1830 altered it; the structure has survived without further modifications. Erected on a hillside, it overlooks Doansburg, which was the principal hamlet of Putnam County until the 19th century when the railroad diverted both population and enterprise southwest to Brewster.